Ball Python Introduction
Ball pythons are the smallest of African pythons, growing only 5 feet in length. Their docile nature makes them attractive pets. Be forewarned, though: Ball pythons live a long time—30 to 40 years in captivity.
In the wild, ball pythons live in Western and Central Africa. Their habitat includes grasslands, shrub-lands, and woodland areas. Ball pythons aren’t venomous, but kill their prey by squeezing it. They are known as constrictors. In the wild, they eat shrews, gerbils, mice, and birds.
Ball pythons lay a clutch of 3 to 11 eggs once a year. The eggs take 60 days to hatch. Ball pythons have an interesting habit: When they feel threatened, they roll into a ball with their head in the center of the ball, which can be rolled.
Keywords to learn
Morph: a variation or change
Humidity: moisture in the air
Albino: lacking color
Hey Kids, my name is Brooklyn the Ball Python and I am very happy to meet you. Learn more about me and my species https://www.kids.nationalgeographic.com
Lifespan:6 to 8 years in the wild.
Scientific name:Python regius.
Mass:2 to 5 lbs.
Population Status:Least concerned.
Current population trend:Stable.
Diet:Small mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians.
Sexual maturity:1 to 3 years.
As you have learned, Ball Pythons come from Africa are often kept as pets. Because they are kept as pet, they are not aggressive, dangerous and venomous. Now that you know more about the Ball Python by learning the key data above, be sure also to check out the fun facts. When you are finished learning the facts, try answering the questions in the Q&A corner on the bottom right side of the page.
Download questions about the Ball Python here: Ball Python (answers are on this page)
Ball Python Fun Facts for Kids
- # 1. To keep a Ball Python as a pet, you’ll need a glass tank with a lid, a light, and a way to keep the tank warm. Ball Pythons need humidity, which can be supplied with a squirt bottle. They eat defrosted dead mice, typically once a week when they’re young and twice a month when they become adults.
- # 2. Breeders have developed Ball Python morphs, which are new varieties with different colors and patterns. Over 6,500 morphs exist, such as pastel or albino. Some morphs are illegal because they cause neurological problems, such as balance problems.
- # 3. The oldest known Ball Python lived in the Philadelphia Zoo and died at age 47 years.
- # 4. The Igbo people of Nigeria consider ball pythons a sacred symbol of the earth. They will not hunt, kill, or eat these snakes.
- # 5. Ball Pythons are black or dark brown (unless they’re morphs), with brown blotches on their backs and sides.
- # 1. Describe the many types of Ball Pythons. Why are some types illegal?
- # 2. What special trick does a Ball Python use when threatened?
- # 3. What is a typical Ball Python’s lifespan?
- # 4. How do the Igbo people feel about Ball Pythons?
- # 5. What do Ball Pythons need as pets?
5 Replies to “Ball Python”
its nice article
Love to see this every day !
Wow, incredible blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging glance easy. The total look of your site is fantastic, as smartly as the content material!!
This will help you to gain experience, while challenging yourself to play better.