Wonderful paintings! This is the kind of info that are meant to be shared around the web. Shame on the search engines for no longer positioning this submit upper! Come on over and discuss with my website . Thank you =)
Mackerel Shark Introduction
Mackerel sharks are also known as white sharks, and include the porbeagle, mako, and great white sharks. These sharks are among the fastest swimming sharks in the world and are known for their fierce hunting ability.
Mackerel sharks belong to the Lamniform order, which is Greek for “fish of prey.” The Lamniformes are the largest family of sharks and include the most commonly recognized sharks, such as the great white. The huge, now extinct megalodon was a Lamniforme. Goblin sharks and megamouth sharks also belong to this family.
Great white sharks live up to 70 years, making them the longest-lived sharks on earth. They can swim up to 35 mph and have no known predators, except man and the occasional killer whale. Great white sharks eat fish, seabirds, and sea mammals, including seals, dolphins, and small whales. Great white sharks are known to attack humans.
Keywords to Learn
Dominant: power or influence over another
Hey Kids, my name is Macy Mackerel Shark, and I am very happy to meet you. Learn more about me and my species @ https://kids.nationalgeographic.com/
Mackerel Shark Data
Lifespan:up to 70 years
Mass:230 kg (507 lbs.); Great Whites-1905 to 2268 k (4,200 to 5,000 lbs.)
Length:3.5 m. (11.5 ft.); Great whites-6.1 m (20 ft.)
Region found:Oceans throughout the world
Current population trend:Unknown.
Sexual maturity:26 to 33 years.
As you have just learned, there are several species of mackerel sharks, including the well-known great white shark. Mackerel sharks are fierce sharks known the world over.
Now that you know more about the great white shark by learning the key data above, be sure also to check out the fun facts. When you are finished learning the facts, try answering the questions in the Q&A corner on the bottom right side of the page.
Download questions about the Mackerel shark Mackerel Shark (answers are on this page)
Teachers. For more in depth work sheets on the anteater. Click on Kidskonnect Worksheets
Fun Facts for Kids
- # 1. Great White Sharks migrate long distances; researchers have discovered them migrating between California and Hawaii, and Africa and Australia. Great white sharks also live in the North Atlantic Ocean off the coast of New England.
- # 2. Mackerel Sharks use ampullae of Lorenzini, a sensory organ that detects electromagnetic fields in other animals. Their senses are so acute that they can detect an animal’s heartbeat even when the animal is making no movement or sound.
- # 3. Mackerel Sharks live in complex social groups. Females (which are larger) dominate males; larger females dominate smaller ones. Occasionally sharks will fight each other, but their groups are generally peaceful.
- # 4. Sharks prefer to eat high-fat foods like whale and seal meat. They usually attack in the early morning hours, coming up from behind animals swimming on the water’s surface.
- # 5. Great White Sharks deliver live pups, which develop from eggs within the mother.
- # 1. How many species are in the Mackerel Shark family?
- # 2. What do Mackerel Sharks eat?
- # 3. What are Mackerel Sharks known for?
- # 4. Are Mackerel Sharks dangerous to humans?
- # 5. How long do Mackerel Sharks live?