Horned Frog Introduction
There are two main species of horned frog, the Argentine Horned Frog and the Cranwell’s horned frog, both of which are found in the wetland areas of Argentina on the tip of South America. We will focus on the Argentine Horned Frog. The Argentine Horned Frog (Ceratophrys Ornata), also known as the Argentine wide-mouthed frog or the ornate pacman frog, is a species of frog in the family Ceratophryidae.
The Argentine Horned Frog is native to the rain forests of Argentina, however, can now be commonly found throughout Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil. The Argentine Horned Frog is most well known for being a voracious eater, as the horned frog will attempt to swallow anything that moves close to the horned frog’s wide mouth. The horned frog tends to hunt things such as insects, small birds and mammals, lizards and other frogs. The horned frog is often very greedy with its selection.
Keywords to learn
Voracious = Wanting or devouring great quantities of food.
Terrestrial = On or relating to the Earth.
Hey Kids, my name is Haylie the Horned Frog and I am very happy to meet you. Learn more about me and my species @ www.kids.nationalgeographic.com
Scientific Name:Ceratophrys Ornata.
Mass:320-480g (11.2-17 ounces).
Region found:Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil.
Population Status:Near threatened.
Current population trend:Decreasing.
Sexual maturity:18-24 months.
This type of frog is very strange but also very beautiful and colorful. These frogs are very different to the run of the mill frogs that you may find in the garden.
Now that you know more about this type of frog by learning the key data above, be sure also to check out the fun facts. When you are finished learning the facts, try answering the questions in the Q&A corner on the bottom right side of the page.
Download questions about the Horned Frog here: Horned Frog (answers are on this page)
Teachers. For more in depth work sheets on The Horned Frog. Click on Kidskonnect Worksheets
Horned Frog Fun Facts for Kids
- # 1. The horned frog is also kept as an exotic pet. The nickname “pacman frog” is a reference to the popular 1980’s arcade game Pac-Man.
- # 2. The Argentine horned frog has the horn-like growth at the eyes.
- # 3. Argentine Horned Frogs are large, aggressive, inactive frogs. Females are much larger than males and they can grow up to 15cms (6 in) long.
- # 4. The Argentine horned frog when threatened, they will puff up and also, they can make a screaming sound.
- # 5. Argentine horned frogs are found in the woodlands of South America near areas with shallow water. During the year when the temperatures are cooler, they will spend most of their time buried underground.
- # 1. What are the two main species of Horned Frog?
- # 2. Where in the world can the Horned Frog be found?
- # 3. What is the Horned Frogs nickname? Why is that its nickname?
- # 4. Which sex of the Horned Frog is bigger?
- #5. When threatened what do Horned Frogs do?