Cow shark Introduction
Cow sharks are an ancient family of sharks going back to prehistoric times. They live in temperate and tropical waters around the world, and generally stay in deep oceans. For this reason, scientists don’t know a lot about them, and only recently discovered a new species.
The sevengill cow shark is sometimes fished for its meat, leather, and oil. It’s also sometimes caught in fishing nets meant for other fish.
Cow sharks are generally not dangerous unless they’re provoked. They will flail, lash, and bite fishermen when caught—but you can hardly blame them.
Keywords to Learn
Ancient: Very old
Species: Group of living organisms
Hey Kids, my name is Cacey the Cow shark and I am very happy to meet you. Learn more about me and my species https://kids.nationalgeographic.com/
- Scientific Name:Hexanchidae.
- Mass:130 lbs.
- Length:1.4 to 5.5 m. (4.6 to 18 ft.).
- Region found:Throughout the world.
- Population Status:Unknown.
- Current population trend:Unknown.
- Sexual maturity:Unknown.
As you have just learned, cow sharks are an old family of sharks. Cow sharks while are aggressive and dangerous so be aware.
Now that you know more about the cow shark by learning the key data above, be sure also to check out the fun facts. When you are finished learning the facts, try answering the questions in the Q&A corner on the bottom right side of the page.
Download questions about the cow shark here: Cow shark (answers are on this page)
Teachers. For more in depth work sheets on sharks. Click on Kidskonnect Worksheets
Fun Facts for Kids
- # 1. The cow shark family includes 37 species.
- # 2. Cow sharks are the oldest and most primitive of all shark families. Their remains have been found from the Jurassic Period.
- # 3. Cow sharks are oviparous, meaning they lay eggs. The females keep the eggs in their bodies until they are ready to hatch.
- # 4. Cow sharks have simple digestive systems compared to other sharks. They also have six or seven gills instead of five.
- # 5. Some cow sharks have eyes that can glow in the dark.
- # 1. Name two things the cow shark is fished for?
- # 2. How many species of cow shark are currently known?
- # 3. Are cow sharks aggressive?
- # 4. What are cow sharks known for?
- # 5. How many gills do cow sharks have?