California sea lion
California sea lion Introduction
The California sea lion is a coastal seal native to western North America. It is one of six species of sea lion. Its natural habitat ranges from southeast Alaska to central Mexico, including the Gulf of California. The clichéd circus seal, balancing a ball on its nose and jumping through hoops—is typically a California sea lion. However in the wild, the California sea lion is a sleek animal, faster than any other sea lion or seal. These eared seals top out at speeds of some 25 miles an hour. Unlike other sea lions, California sea lions do not have lionlike manes. These mammals live along the rocky Pacific Ocean coastlines of western North America. Huge colonies can be seen gathered on seaside rocks, and even on man-made structures, for breeding and for birthing. Males gather harems of females to their sides in competition to sire young pups, which are born on land.
Keywords to learn
cliché: A phrase or opinion that is overused and betrays a lack of original thought
Hey Kids, my name is Callie the California sea lion and I am very happy to meet you. Learn more about me and my species @ www.kids.nationalgeographic.com
- Lifespan:Up to 30 years.
- Scientific Name:Zalophus californianus.
- Mass:610 to 860 pounds.
- Length:5.5 to 7.25 feet.
- Region found:North america.
- Population Status:Least concern.
- Current population trend:Increasing.
- Sexual maturity:4-5 years.
California sea lions are not not genrally dangerous however they can be aggressive but usually only if provoked. So be creful around them, however they will be cool to you if you are cool to them!
Now that you know more about the California sea lion by learning the key data above, be sure also to check out the fun facts. When you are finished learning the facts, try answering the questions in the Q&A corner on the bottom right side of the page.
Download questions about how the California sea lion here: California Sea Lion (answers are on this page)
Teachers. For more in depth work sheets on the sea lions. Click on Kidskonnect Worksheets
California sea lion Fun Facts for Kids
- # 1. The sea lion’s ancient ancestors, like those of whales and dolphins, lived on land.
- # 2. Sea lion’s adapte to an aquatic environment, with its streamlined body and powerful flippers. Their rear flippers rotate forward to allow a them to move surprisingly well on land
- # 3. California sea lion’ss also boast thick layers of blubber to insulate their bodies from the chill of marine waters.
- # 4. When diving deep, California sea lions slow their heart rates to allow them to remain underwater for nearly ten minutes before surfacing to breathe.
- # 5. This ability gives them an edge in the pursuit of the fish, squid, and shellfish that make up their primary diet.
- # 1. What are Californian sea lions famous for?
- # 2. Where can Californian sea lions be found?
- # 3. What is the primary food source of the Californian sea lions?
- # 4. What age do Californian sea lions live to?
- # 5. What age do Californian sea lions sexually mature?