American Bullfrog Introduction
The American bullfrog is a semi-aquatic frog, primarily know for the loud call sounds it makes. The baritone call of the bullfrog is so deep and resonant, it resembles the mooing of a cow, hence its name. Only males emit this trademark “jug-o-rum” bellow, and their choruses can be heard during the day or night. The largest of all North American frogs, this giant can grow to a length of 8 inches or more and weigh up to 1.5 pounds. Even the tadpoles of this species can reach 6.75 inches in length. They are among the most wide-ranging of all North American amphibians, found in freshwater ponds, lakes, and marshes from Nova Scotia, Canada, throughout the continental United States, and as far south as Mexico and Cuba. They have even found their way to Europe, South America, and Asia. Bullfrogs are typically green or gray-brown with brown spots and have easily identifiable circular eardrums, or tympanum, on either side of their heads.
Keywords to learn
Tympanum: The tympanic membrane or eardrum
Hey Kids, my name is Alex the American Bullfrog and I am very happy to meet you. Learn more about me and my species @
- Lifespan:7 to 9 years.
- Scientific Name:Lithobates catesbeianus.
- Mass:1.1 pounds.
- Length:3.5 to 6 inches (adult female).
- Region found:North American.
- Population Status:Least concern.
- Current population trend:Increasing (invasive).
- Sexual maturity:3-4 years.
Bullfrogs can we agrreesive to other smilair sized animals when defending their terriroty, and while they can be kind of scray to look at, they are not dangerious to humans, even toxic skin. They are also quite beauiful in an ugly type of way! Ha.
Now that you know more about the American Bullfrog by learning the key data above, be sure also to check out the fun facts. When you are finished learning the facts, try answering the questions in the Q&A corner on the bottom right side of the page.
Download questions about the American Bullfrog here: American Bullfrog (answers are on this page)
Teachers. For more in-depth worksheets the bullfrog. Click on Kidskonnect Worksheets Worksheets
Check out our NEW TWITTER ACCOUNT, where you can check out some more cool animal facts: @ animalsatoz
American Bullfrog Fun Facts for Kids
- # 1. Bullfrogs will ambush and eat just about anything they can fit in their ample mouths, including insects, mice, fish, birds, and snakes.
- # 2. Bullfrogs sit quietly and wait for prey to pass by, then lunge with their powerful hind legs, mouths open wide.
- # 3. Males bullfrogs are highly territorial and will aggressively guard their land. Females are slightly larger than males.
- # 4. Bullfrogs like warm weather. When it turns cold, they dig down into mud to hibernate.
- # 5. A group of bullfrogs is known as an Army.
# 1. Where is the American bullfrog found?
# 2. Is a bullfrog fully aquatic?
# 3. What is the American bullfrog’s preferred weather?
# 4. Name three things that are part of the American bullfrog’s diet?
# 5. What is a group of bullfrogs called?